Monday, November 26, 2018

Clinging Tenaciously

Inspiration can come from just about anywhere. Yesterday morning it came in the form of a single leaf. As I backed out of our driveway, with the whole family headed to worship, I noticed one single leaf. 

In the night the leaf fell from a tree and landed stem first in between two pieces of metal in our windshield wiper on the driver's side. That single leaf was surrounded by many other dingy brown leaves that had also fallen. 

When I drove out of the neighborhood all the other leaves blew off the vehicle. All except that single leaf. I thought to myself, "It will blow off once I get on the highway." When I hit higher speeds on the highway the leaf shook, waved back and forth but held fast. 

That leaf clung tenaciously. Even against the wind resistance on a 40 mile trip and the blustery north wind gusts. That leaf remained in place the whole way. I watched in amazement wondering how the stem did not break off or the leaf itself not tear apart. It remained in place the entire trip. 

It got me to thinking. Isn't that what followers of Jesus are supposed to do. Aren't we supposed to cling tenaciously to God and His promises against the resistance of this world. While the world pushes and pulls against us with Satanic force we must cling tenaciously to our faithful God and His trustworthy word. 

I am not saying those things are always easy. When everything is blowing against you it is easy to lose your grip. To let the fingers of your faith and focus slowly give way to the mounting pressures. 

If an inanimate object like a leaf can stubbornly hold fast to a windshield wiper for 40 miles I believe God can strengthen our grasp on Him. We must latch onto Him and hold fast with all that is within us. If we cling tenaciously to Him it will be Him who sees us all the way to the end of our journey. Others have experienced this. So must we. Brothers and sisters, I encourage you to cling tenaciously to Yahweh and His Son Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment