Monday, August 16, 2021

Tozer's Passionate Desire

 A.W. Tozer was quite a fellow. A beloved pastor. A highly sought out conference speaker. A prolific author. As impressive as each of his accomplishments in those areas, they do not define him. Tozer would define himself as a worshipper. 

He made a statement once that captured his passionate desire. He said, "I want to love God more than anyone in my generation." He meant that. He devoted countless hours to prayer and private worship. One person commented upon praying with Tozer that it felt like God was right at his elbow. Tozer's passionate desire was to love God and pursue Him. He wrote a book titled, The Pursuit of God. He talked about cultivating the interior journey of the soul. 

He once wrote that God is a personality and wants to be known. To read a Tozer book is a far different experience than reading a modern book. You will not read pop psychology nor 12 steps to a better life. Tozer pursued God. He preached God. He worshipped God. He loved God. He wrote about God. He called others to do the same. 

Tozer's passionate desire to love God more than anyone in his generation is biting into my soul right now. Tozer has been dead for decades now. Yet his desire still echoes in the caverns of my mind. It begs the question in my personal life. Do I love God more than anyone in my family? More than anyone in our church? More than others in this community? More than all in this county? 

Like Tozer, I have been on a thirty year quest to know God. Many decades ago I was on a flight to a preaching assignment when I read the statement Tozer made about loving God more than anyone in his generation. Flying near 30,000 feet I nestled my head back against the headrest and prayed, "God I want to love you more than anyone in my hometown." At that time, Lufkin was close to 30,000 people. God did not wait long to respond. I sensed His gentle whisper in my mind, "Then you will have to be willing to do things others are unwilling to do if you are going to love me more than those."

This odyssey to know and love God has consumed me. The quest has been fueled by further encounters with Jehovah. Profound encounters too rich to capture into words. The zeal to love and know God has prompted me to spend hours in my Bible reading to worship more than to get another sermon. At times He has lead me through the tattered pages of His word at a torrid pace. Other times He has caused me to linger long in certain sections as He revealed Himself to me. 

Tozer prayed. He often prayed prostrate on the ground for hours on end. He did not rush through these times to get onto more important things. Time in God's presence was the most important thing. In fact, he said he preferred the company of God to any other. Can that be said of any of us. 

God has lead me to the prayer closet frequently. Many of those times just to listen for His still small voice. Basking in His presence. Lost in the wonder of close encounters with Him. 

Do we have a desire to know and love God? Will we devote ourselves to following hard after Him? Do we desire to love Him more? More than anyone else in our generation? May Tozer's passionate desire become ours as well. 

Psalm 42:1-2 (NASB)
1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for You, O God.

2  My soul thirsts for God, for the living God; When shall I come and appear before God?

No comments:

Post a Comment