Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Last Words

 I did a brief study some famous last words spoken by people in preparation for the message tonight. They easily divided into two groups. Those with a saving relationship with Jesus and those without. I would like to share a few of them with you. 

Martin Luther said, "Our God is the God from who cometh salvation. God is the Lord by whom we escape death." 

The theologian Richard Baxter exclaimed, "I have pain but I have peace. I have peace."

John Knox triumphantly proclaimed, "Live in Christ, die in Christ and the flesh need not fear death." 

Sadly there are others who on their death beds seemed to have no hope. There godless ways caught up with them. Some seemed even hostile at those giving care offering to pray for them. 

Winston Churchill sadly stated, "I am so bored with it all. I am convinced there is no hope."

When a servant for Joan Crawford started to pray for her, Crawford exclaimed, "---- it. Don't you dare ask God to help me." 

A Jewish novelist named Italo Svevo sadly spoke when he heard a nurse offering him last rites, "When you haven't prayed all your life, it's no use at the last moment." 

By far the worst one I read that really sums up matters concerning the afterlife came from James Brown. Horridly he shouted, "I'm burning up! I'm burning up!" 

One day the end will come for us all. I hope that in that moment we will have words of hope and faith of our lips declaring with the apostle Paul, "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain." [Phil 1:21]

No comments:

Post a Comment