Sunday, February 24, 2019

Don't Compromise

I just finished preaching one of the most heartfelt messages I have preached recently. One lady commented afterwards, "I knew when you got up to preach you looked different and I thought this is going to be good." God laid a message on my heart with several scriptures and one where I would be very transparent in my testimony. I had a burden. I barely slept last night. A message I prayed diligently about delivering and how to deliver it in love but sincerity.  A message that called me to take a stand.

God gave me liberty and fresh oil to communicate His truth. I felt Him working.

After the service ended a guest lay preacher stopped to talk to me in the foyer. This is what he said, "Good preaching brother. Let me give you a word of warning. Don't compromise." He went on to explain what he meant. DON'T WATER DOWN THE WORD IN THE PREACHING! That is something I never intend to do. Hard truth is just as needed as edifying truth. It is all God's word.

I appreciated this brother's words of counsel. It is easy to lose focus and drift off course. I actually told the preacher, "I pray God strike me down dead should I ever do that."

It is His word people need to hear. We may not always want to hear it but we need to hear it. Preachers need to preach it. The church needs to hunger for it and settle for nothing less. That means no sidestepping the harder truths because they are offensive. That means speaking the truth in love. That means no drive by sermons that last only fifteen minutes. It also means no group therapy group hugs sermons based more on pop psychology than the word of God.

Hebrews 4:12-13 (ESV)
12  For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

We are not going to water it down. We certainly do not ever want to compromise God's word. Thank you preacher for a word of warning I take to heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment