Monday, February 18, 2019

2.3 Seconds

How many people do you meet who really impact your life? By impact I mean God uses them to transform your life? What about complete strangers?

Do you believe a complete stranger could approach you, not hand you anything, but totally change your life in 2.3 seconds. That sounds impossible but later I will show you proof that it actually happened.

Before that I can tell you God used a complete stranger to change my life. His name is Eli Bernard. He bounced into my hometown and made quite a splash. He certainly did in my life. In October of 1983 Eli went to a Lufkin Panthers junior varsity football game. He did not have football on his mind. He had sharing the gospel and winning souls burning in his heart. I did not know it at the time but God had me in His crosshairs and Eli was the instrument He would use to change my life.

Eli, a total stranger, approached me during the game. After some very short small talk he got to the point about where I would spend eternity. He clearly laid out the gospel message. I know I heard it before but it never clicked. That night it felt like the scales fell off my eyes and I saw the love of Jesus for me the very first time. He wonderfully and gloriously saved me that night.

I did not know it at the time but I would live with Eli on two different occasions during the summer months while in college so he could train me in ministry. He taught me how to evangelize. He taught me how to teach the Bible. He taught me ideas and philosophy about youth ministry. He taught me about managing money. He also taught me about planning events.

I was deeply saddened when he told me he was leaving my home church to accept a position in Lutz, FL. God used Eli to not only lead me to faith in Christ but also to disciple me. A treasure. I am still in contact with Eli to this day.

God also used another complete stranger to impact my life. His name is Charles Roberts. He is my pastor. Still actively preaching and pastoring a small church. He told me recently he accepted the call to a small church after his retirement because they were just about to close the doors and he did not want to see that happen.

God used Brother Charles to baptize me. He taught me how to be a pastor. He recommended books to me, gave me ministry opportunities, mentored me and counseled me. He also taught me about expository preaching, shepherding a flock, saying thank you, loving people and endurance in ministry.

Two complete strangers. Two men God used to transform my life. Back to the title. Eli and Brother Charles impacted my life over the course of years. It took a lot longer than 2.3 seconds.

There is a real story where in 2.3 seconds a complete stranger transformed the lives of some people he happened upon one day. He did not give them any money. He did not give them any possessions as a matter of fact. He did not offer them jobs with perks and powerful job titles. In just 2.3 seconds this stranger changed the trajectory of some lives. You can read about this event in history. I did so just this week.

Matthew 4:18-20 (ESV)
18  While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen.
19  And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
20  Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Go ahead. Read what Jesus said to these two brothers out loud and time yourself. I did it a couple of days ago. It took me 2.3 seconds to read the words of Jesus to Simon and Andrew. Their worlds, their lives, their purpose, their mission all changed in 2.3 seconds.

That night back in October of 1983 my world and life changed in the time it took me to ask for Jesus' forgiveness and salvation and amen. In those brief seconds everything changed. All I have good in my life: Brenda, Taylor, Tanner, Tucker, Turner, close brothers and sisters in Christ, friends, purpose, passion and provision all changed in the seconds when I met Jesus and followed Him. Pretty amazing what Jesus can do.

My mom could not tame me in 17 years though she tried. Principals could not change me. Teachers could not tame me. Coaches could not transform me. Nor distant relatives. What they could not do in years Jesus did in seconds. He still chasing me to this day. He still does that today for others all over the world. I am humbled and honored to be one of those He transformed in just seconds. I am happy to follow Him. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment