Monday, August 21, 2023

I Can't Forgive Myself

 I just met Bryan (not his real name). He attended a Bible study I also attended. His first words were, "I just can't forgive myself. I am ashamed and condemned." I asked if anyone else in the room felt the same way. Hands shot up everywhere and heads nodded in affirmation. With those sad words in mind I prayed silently for God to show me where to go in our study. 

I felt impressed to go to the rich chapter in Romans 5. Especially focusing on verses 7-9. The worth of something is determined often by what people are willing to pay for it. If that is true, God determined that our worth led Him to sacrifice His only Son to purchase our redemption. The proof of His love is that Jesus died for us. 

Talking about love, forgiveness, worth, salvation, and grace resonated all over the room. People from all different walks of life. Different backgrounds but a common need for God's grace. When it was all said and done, I concluded the study by asking if God is willing to forgive us for our trespasses, who are we to say we cannot forgive ourselves. Are we saying we know better than God. We do not deserve forgiveness. We certainly did not earn it. It is a free gift of unmerited grace. Amazing Grace. We embrace it by faith. 

God offers forgiveness instead of condemnation. [Rom 8:1] He offers righteousness in place of trespasses. [II Cor 5:21] He embraces us as sons and daughters instead of shunning us as enemies when we submit humbly to Him for redemption. God offers eternal and abundant life in place of low living. 

Jesus rescued four souls yesterday from their sin saving them from the wrath of God forever. Four who couldn't forgive themselves, but found God's forgiveness through the shed blood of Jesus. God had more joy over those four souls saved than our regular Sunday morning worship gathering. I thank God that He forgives people who cannot see fit to forgive themselves. Glory to His name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment