Sunday, September 3, 2023

People Need the Lord

 When Brenda and I started dating we adopted a theme song for our relationship, People Need the Lord. The song's message is that people go about in private pain, they pass by everywhere needing to hear the good news about Jesus. When we came to Spring Creek in view of a call, we sang that song during the worship service. We had no doubt we were supposed to serve God there. 

Fast forward to yesterday. We both had an appointment with someone who has come to mean a great deal to us to talk. It did not take long to discover the person had questions about salvation. We listened and presented the plan of salvation. There was a little reluctance. It was hard for this person to surrender control. The pain and conviction were stronger than the fears of losing control. 

We bowed our heads and prayed trusting Jesus for salvation. Through faith we believed God to wipe away the past, to make all things new on the inside. What a beautiful moment and all the more meaningful because I got to share it with my bride. The angels rejoiced and so did Brenda and me. 

She has always been a part of this ministry. It started back in college when we joined together to start a Bible study for dating couples in the home of the President of the college. Then she followed me to my first church in Rochelle, TX as youth minister. That church had few members, but we were thrilled to teach students the Bible. God even saved some of those students in that little white wooden chapel. 

Just before we got married God called us to Spring Creek. We were married about two months later after we started. What a ride that was. God saved teenagers often. We rejoiced. We thrilled to see them follow in baptism. We started with a group of seven. God increased that number to an average of 40. Many times, we saw God save multiple students and then celebrated with numerous baptisms. 

Brenda stood by my side when I transitioned into pastoral ministry. Again, we saw God save numerous people. We celebrated those salvations. I spent four years traveling full time. I hated being away from Brenda and our four sons in those days. Life on the road was lonely without her. I did it for the sake of the call of God to preach Jesus. I was able to take her and the four T's to a few youth camps. What a thrill to watch God save children and teenagers. 

One of the highlights of our ministry was the revival God broke out at FBC Seminole lasting 23 straight days and God saving 37 people during that time. We baptized someone nearly every night of that revival Brenda stood right there praying for me as I preached night after night and working in the counseling room leading people to meet Jesus as Savior. We have not experienced anything like that since then. It was like haven came down and kissed Seminole for those days. 

She talks to people about Jesus at work, drive throughs, and other places she frequents. She pours her life into women in a small group class on Sundays and into children on Wednesday nights.  

When we walked home after our appointment yesterday, I reminded her of our song People Need the Lord. She teared up and we kissed. I told her I could get used to her being by my side day in and day out in ministry. God saved another one. Even now we turn with expectation to see whom God will save next. We are humbled God chooses to use us to be a part of His great salvation plan for others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment