Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Confirmation

I struggled with what to preach last week. I even started studying two passages only to discard them midway through due to lack of peace. I prayed and prayed for a clear direction from God. Nothing. No inspiration. No burden. No discernment. I read scripture. I prayed and prayed some more. Still nothing came.

Late Thursday afternoon I walked into the sanctuary, walked down front, mounted the stairs and prostrated myself next to the pulpit. I pleaded with God to give me something. I asked for a fresh word. For the word He wanted to speak to His people. I am not sure how long I prayed. I eventually left in the same condition I started with no direction.

The next morning I received a text. Like lightening shooting through my heart the long desired inspiration came through a text message. I immediately found the passage laid on my heart,  began the work of word studies, organizing thoughts and  Bible truths and coming up with all the needed research. The message flowed. I eagerly awaited to deliver it.

I preached a message I would not have come up with on my own in a hundred years. I would have never thought to preach on that particular passage. God spoke. I could see it on the faces of the people. I poured out my soul in that message. He worked. Many fell under conviction but not condemnation.

When the service ended I stood at the back to greet people as they left. A little girl walked over to me and handed me a picture she colored in her Bible study class. I could not believe it. There are on top of the picture was the very verse I had just preached. It seemed pretty clear to me that Jesus prompted me to preach that message. It also seemed clear to me that without my knowing it the message coincided with the children's lesson that day as well. Clear confirmation. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment