Friday, May 11, 2018

Death

You would think people would be more aware of our own mortality. Still people act like they are taken by surprise when death comes to loved ones, celebrities and even ourselves. Death comes for everyone. The young and the old. The rich and the poor. The white skinned and the dark skinned. People of every nation face this same reality.

At funeral homes another widow and widower show up to grieve the loss of her husband or his wife. Parents do the same thing for their children. Untimely. Unbearable. Still it happens often. Most of the time we are able to keep death at arm's length. On rare occasion it may touch a loved one or a friend. On a few occasions death comes for those closest to us.

The grief hurts so badly it nearly doubles a person over in anguish. The sorrow is so deep a person can feel it. The tears flow but the pain is not easily healed. Some people never really recover from the death of a child, spouse, parent or friend. They live out the rest of their days with a hole in their heart.  They learn to cope but they never get over death.

You would think since death is such a certainty people would give more time to thinking about it. You would people would prepare for it and prepare their loved ones for it. The whole thing is overwhelming. The shock of the death itself. The pressure of making funeral or memorial arrangements. Trying to bravely talk to the well wishers and concerned.

After all this passes the real hardship sets in. The real grief is battled for weeks, months and years on end. The smallest thing can bring back memories of the departed. A face in the crowd can remind of the deceased. So can a song on the radio or an old movie.

Hebrews 9:27 (NKJV)
27  And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,

There is a day appointed for us to die. A day set on the calendar. An ordained time. That is not the end. It really is just the beginning. For then eternity begins. Either eternal bliss or eternal doom all hinging on one single thing. Our relationship with Jesus. In judgment those who placed their faith in Jesus for salvation shall enter into a fuller revelation and joy than they could never have imagined. On the other hand, there will be eternal suffering and agony for those who never placed their faith in Jesus for salvation. 

I've thought about my death. Not any time in the near future I hope. I have thought about the memorial. I know the songs. IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL. I LONG FOR THE DAY. KNOWING YOU. THE STAND. I also know the text I want preached. My favorite verse of all. Philippians 1:21, "For to me to live is Christ and to die is gain."

I want the focus on Jesus. I also want rejoicing for as D.L. Moody said right before his death, "Soon you will read D.L. Moody died. Don't believe a word of it. I will be more alive then than ever." True. True. 

May we live with our end in mind. Like C.T. Studd said, "Tis only one life to live and t'will soon be past. Only what is done for Christ will last."


2 comments:

  1. That was a great message this morning. As soon as I got home from church, I went straight to my piano and sang one of my favorite songs, "Only One Life" several times ... and that's BEFORE I EVEN read this post! Needless to say, your message was loud and clear this morning Bro. Matt. Good job! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to write and preach what God gives me. I trust Him to use it for His glory to meet the needs of people.

    ReplyDelete